The University of Massachusetts Amherst
University of Massachusetts Amherst

Search Google Appliance



Course Summary



Programming, with Data Structures




CMPSCI 121  Intro. to Problem Solving with Computers, using Java (C or better)



Other restrictions

Must be CMPSCI major



Term(s) offered

Fall, Spring, Summer

Minimum grade needed to graduate


Course(s) that use this one as a prerequisite

CMPSCI 250  Intro to Computation
ECE 353  Computer Systems Lab I (with ECE 232)
ECE 373  Software Intensive Engineering
ECE 374  Computer Networks & the Internet
ECE 570  System Software Design (with ECE 232)

Honors version / section



  • CMPSCI 187 can be substituted for ECE 242 (Data Structures & Algorithms), but ECE 242 is preferred for BS-CSE and BS-EE majors.

  • BS-CSE and BS-EE students can usually enroll in the summer version of CMPSCI 187 without needing special permission and without filling out an override form.

  • If a student has earned below C in ECE 242 before earning C or better in CMPSCI 187, they should contact the Associate Dean for Student Affairs about earning a grade replacement. (For contact information, visit Advising Resources.)

  • Most BS-CSE and BS-EE students will need to fill out an override form to be enrolled in CMPSCI 187. Also:

    • The link for the online override form is on this page.

    • The online form changes every fall and spring semester, and usually becomes available near the end of the preregistration advising period.

    • Decisions are made by the CMPSCI department near the beginning of the semester, and enrollment is not guaranteed, so it is recommended for students to arrange their schedules to accommodate CMPSCI 187, i.e., they should not enroll in something that conflicts with CMPSCI 187.

    • It is also recommended to have a plan in case the student is not admitted into CMPSCI 187.

    • CMPSCI minors and students under contract (for admission to CMPSCI) must fill out the online override form. Only CMPSCI majors are allowed to enroll on their own.

  • Courses offered during the summer are administered by CPE (Continuing and Professional Education), which means there is a fee to enroll. For more information, go to the CPE website. An override form is NOT needed to enroll in the summer version of CMPSCI 187. That is, BS-CSE and BS-EE majors should be able to enroll.

[To see the full list of courses and categories, go to Course Summaries & Notes.]